39. Arterial stiffness is a predictor for acute kidney injury following coronary artery

Title: Arterial stiffness is a predictor for acute kidney injury following coronary artery bypass graft surgery.


Author Information

Greenwood SA, Mangahis E, Castle EM, Wang J, Campbell J, Deshpande R, Jayawardene S.


Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury (CSA-AKI) is a serious postoperative complication of cardiac surgery, an episode of which impacts on patient morbidity and mortality. Pulse wave velocity (PWV; a non-invasive measurement tool to assess arterial stiffness) has been shown to predict kidney disease progression, and cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. We hypothesised that PWV would also predict acute kidney injury in subjects who have undergone non-valve repair elective coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery .

METHODS:

This was a prospective, observational, exploratory study. PWV was determined with a Vicorder device, together with standard clinical and biochemical parameters. AKI staging was defined according to the Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Clinical Practice Guidelines.

RESULTS:

137 patients were included in the study. 85% were male, and mean age was 66.3 years (SD = 9.7 years). There were 40 episodes (29%) of CSA-AKI. Each 1 unit increase in PWV score was associated with a 1.5 fold greater odds of a CSA-AKI event (p = 0.006(odds ratio = 1.5; confidence interval:1.13-2.10). A 1 unit increase in estimated glomerular filtration rate resulted in an estimated 85% decrease in the odds of developing AKI, each year, men have an odds reduction of 15% of developing AKI compared with females and each 1 year increase in age lowered the odds of developing AKI by 87%.

CONCLUSIONS:

This pilot exploratory study revealed that PWV, assessed prior to non-valve repair elective CABG surgery, independently predicts CSA-AKI events. PWV is a simple, non-invasive technique that could potentially be used to risk stratify for CSA- AKI following elective cardiac surgery.


Click here to go to PubMed.

1 Ansicht

©2021 by Pulswellenanalyse